I'm purposely trying to mix up some of the more serious posts and the fun and random posts. I need the variety too. I think way too much and can get on my own nerves thinking about deep things all the time!
So here are just a bunch of random things.
1. I'm re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird." It is so lovely. It kind of hurts my feelings to re-read books, because there are SOOOO many I have yet to read. I feel like I am cheating on the ones I have not read. BUT. I was fortunate enough to have read many of the classics early on. The downside of this is that I didn't appreciate or even take notice of the language and the beauty of the written word, at least not in the way I am capable of doing now.
I mean look at this sentence. It is perfect. In that one sentence, I completely get Dill's personality and wish I could have played with him, too.
Another book on my re-read list is Gone With the Wind. I read it in the 8th grade and finished it at the lunch table. As I was walking to throw my trash away and line up with my class (I hated lines by they way...boring), the teacher noticed the tears streaming down my face. She happened to be my English teacher and said, "I understand." I wanted to say, "No. No you don't. Rhett is gone! For good!"
2. I enjoy putting my make up on and fixing my hair while sitting down. I used to sit on my bathroom counter in high school, and all my friends thought it was the weirdest thing. I have no idea why I do this. It just feels good to sit, rest, and get ready all at the same time. Now, I just have a full length mirror leaning against a wall that I use, so I can sit on the floor.
3. I'm a school supply loving fool. I bought these yesterday. I can't get over that the tip is transparent! These highlighters basically jumped into my cart all by themselves. We had that intense of a connection. Love at first sight, really.
4. I think hostess gifts are important. Do I bring one every single time? No. I forget or get in a rush more times than not, but here is a way to have all you need on hand. Buy a huge back of candy, keep cellophane bags and ribbon in stock, and everytime you go to Target or Michaels, buy a couple things off the $1 aisle. That's it! Hostess gift done.
5. Danica Patrick in Nascar does matter.
My friend Penny and I went to the Charlotte race several months ago. All the drivers make a round before the race, waving to fans. All the hateful and rival drivers get all the crass comments and boos. I get that. But when Danica comes around, you would think the devil himself was driving around the track. The other terrrible drivers that finish last are hardly even noticed. The bottom line is that Danica qualifies for each race the Saturday before. She meets the criteria. Is she great? No. Now, if Danica did NOT qualify for a race based on her speed the day before and still got to run, I would be upset, too! With all that said, I'm glad she is in NASCAR. And this is why:
This sweet baby girl has a woman she looks up to in a male dominated sport. Just look at her; Pretending to drive with Danica's hat and a princess shirt on. She is already dreaming of what she wants to be when she grows up. Are there limits to what we can and cannot do? Yes. I'm not good at everything. Are men and women different and gifted in different ways? Yes. But this doesn't mean she can't explore areas outside the traditional norm. I happen to love the traditional roles of men and women, but I don't think it is wrong for someone to step outside those norms and dream something that may be different, edgy, or unexpected. She is a princess who loves NASCAR. I just love that, y'all, and I'm thankful that Danica Patrick opened that door for her.